- That which has been homework is now done in class and that which was done in class is now done at home. But there is more.
- What does a class look like?
- Start with discussion of video from night before.They spend considerable time training the students how to watch the video with an inquiring eye and mind.Train them to turn off other distractions, take notes about questions they have, pause and rewind, use Cornell note taking.
- Use the common questions as indicators that this is a topic that is not secure for all the students.The outlier questions allow opportunities for individualization and differentiation.
- Then students are given assignments for the day—lab, inquiry activity, directed problem solving.Depending on length of class period, students may have more than one of these activities per class.
- Teacher’s role is more like a tutor. Teachers still have tests, quizzes, papers to grade. Benefit—the students who struggle the most, get the most attention.
That which has been homework is now done in class...